Thursday, August 22, 2013

Career Advice from the Homeless

Running a bail bond agency while attending law school is quite a challenge.  I'm certain I could do either one better if I weren't doing the other.  But, I'm stubborn.  And, too many people know I'm in school.  My vanity would suffer were I to quit. Having study material with me wherever I go and using it every moment that is not otherwise occupied is the only way I can keep up.

Yesterday, I had a meeting to attend and ran errands on my way.  I completed the errands sooner than I expected so I bought a sandwich, grabbed a casebook and took position at a picnic bench in a park near my appointment.  I do that often.  I even carry a folding chair, my "soccer chair", so that I can be comfortable no matter the conditions. I imagine that people seeing me with my stout, nondescript book guess that I'm some sort of evangelist studying the bible.

A homeless man, dirty, mostly toothless and drinking a tall can of beer, occupied the bench next to mine.  When I approached, in my shirtsleeves and tie, I nodded a greeting - an acknowledgment.  He studied me for a moment then nodded back.  I sat facing the other way, my back to him. I unfolded the wrapping around my sandwich, opened my book, and craned my neck so that I would not drop bits of ham, tomato, or avocado on the page. 

After a while, the man let out an impressive belch.  I turned the page.  Several minutes later, the man rose from his bench, took hold of his bike and walked my direction.  Still seated, I squared my shoulders to face him.  Our eyes locked and he asked, "King James?"

I knew my answer would disappoint him, but I gave it anyway, "No, this is a law book.  I'm in law school."

He stopped, stared at me and said, "Well, just be sure you're become a lawyer, and not a liar.  That's what we call them, Liars"

He waited for me to respond. I didn't have much. "Some of them are paid to lie."

His appraisal of me was completed, he mounted his bike and as he pedaled away, he shook his head with a patronizing, one-tooth smile and said, "Yeah, but there's more to life than money."

Wisdom comes in all shapes.  I'm glad I can still be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment